Position: Mechanical Design Engineer
- Salary: £40k-£50k DOE
- Full Time
Who we are: SubSea Craft is a fast growing, privately-funded, UK-based SME delivering Advanced Maritime Technology. We leverage our team’s defence experience with cross-industry partnerships in the field of advanced naval engineering. Our flagship product, VICTA, is a Diver Delivery Unit – a surface submersible craft designed to operate at speed over range and capable of rapid transition beneath the surface to operate submerged, enabling the discreet delivery and recovery of divers. It is a unique, innovative British product focused primarily on the defence market but with utility beyond.
What we offer:
- Private Healthcare with optional family cover
- Life Assurance (4 x salary)
- Critical Illness Cover
- Unlimited Paid Holiday
- Ongoing professional development and training
- Pension contribution
- Flexible Working
- A culture of diversity and innovative thinking
Responsibilities will include:
- Conduct detailed analysis of design requirements, specifications, and project objectives to develop innovative mechanical design solutions
- Utilise CAD software and other design tools to create detailed 2D drawings and 3D models of mechanical components, ensuring accuracy, functionality, and compliance with industry standards and regulations.
- Substantiate designs using analytical methods, FEA software, and other simulation tools to validate the integrity, performance, and safety of mechanical designs in the maritime environment.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including electrical engineers, naval architects, and control systems engineers, to ensure seamless integration and compatibility of mechanical designs with other system elements.
- Conduct material selection and evaluation, considering factors such as mechanical properties, corrosion resistance, weight optimisation, and cost-effectiveness, for the development of maritime technology solutions.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive documentation, including design specifications, engineering drawings, and technical reports, ensuring accurate and up-to-date records throughout the design and development process.
- Commit to learning fast and learning by doing, through the use of prototypes, simulation and other testing and validation.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to identify, analyse, and resolve complex design challenges.
- Courageous and innovative mindset, unafraid to challenge conventional thinking and propose novel ideas.
- Proficiency in sketching and the ability to communicate design concepts visually.
- Expertise in 3D modelling software, such as Inventor or SolidWorks.
- In-depth knowledge of mechanical engineering principles, materials, and manufacturing processes relevant to maritime technology, enabling a confident and justified compromise of performance and cost.
- Strong knowledge of material selection and combination for use in the marine environment, extending to established and novel corrosion mitigation technologies and methodologies.
- Confident in design justification through market research, hand calculation, simulation and physical testing.
- Familiarity with relevant regulatory requirements and industry standards for marine systems and equipment. In particular, experience designing for class approval of machinery and mechanical systems against Lloyd’s or DNV-GL is beneficial.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams and present design proposals.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to create accurate technical drawings and models.
- Experience with prototyping, testing, and iterative design processes.
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field. Advanced degrees or specialised certifications are a plus.
Note: Due to the nature of work undertaken at SubSea Craft, the selected candidate must be capable of meeting the security requirements of the position, which would include as a minimum Existing right to live and work in the UK, Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS), with Security Check likely for specific projects.*
Values: Our people are our greatest asset, we continually strive to provide an excellent working environment to enable our team to do their best work. We have an agile professional workforce: we are founded on the belief that our people are valued and our business is trusted, inclusive and commercially-adept.
What we expect from you:
- Teamwork, mutual respect and collaboration
- Initiative and independent working
- Honesty and integrity
- Business and commercial awareness
- Agility, adaptability and continuous development
We regret that due to the high volume of applications we are unable to acknowledge every application. Please bear in mind that if you are selected for an interview we will aim to contact you within 14 days of your application or the closing date (if stated). However, if we think that your skills and qualifications may be suitable for other similar positions we may hold your details on our database and contact you in the future. Please let us know if you do not wish us to keep your details on file.
*Please note that DBS, Driving Licence and reference checks will be carried out and all offers of employment are subject to meeting our requirements.