Marine Design Engineer
Position: Marine Design Engineer
Who we are: Subsea Craft is a fast growing, privately-funded, UK-based SME delivering Advanced Maritime Technology. We leverage our team’s defence experience with cross-industry partnerships in the field of advanced naval engineering. Our flagship product, VICTA, is a Diver Delivery Unit - a surface submersible craft designed to operate at speed over range and capable of rapid transition beneath the surface to operate submerged, enabling the discreet delivery and recovery of divers. It is a unique, innovative British product focused primarily on the defence market but with utility beyond.
We are looking for an energetic marine design engineer to drive forward the manufacture and development of world leading advanced maritime technology. The successful candidate will be driven by innovation and strive to deliver excellence in everything they do.
Responsibilities will include:
- Be capable of producing new designs from concept through to final manufacture.
- Applying and managing requirements to drive the development of design solutions for marine mechanical equipment and systems.
- Undertaking design substantiation via calculation for marine systems and equipment. This shall include mechanical simulation/analysis in the areas of structures, fluids and heat transfer, incorporating appropriate optimisation.
- Applying analysis outputs to demonstrate compliance with safety, functional and performance requirements.
- Liaising with test facilities, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers as required to satisfy the needs of a project.
- Knowledge of the systems engineering lifecycle and an ability to apply good systems engineering practices to your work.
- Carrying out relatively complex technical surveys and investigations, including the evaluation and selection of technical options.
- Producing technical reports and guidance packages to help resolve problems and improve engineering capability.
- Managing design work in appropriate engineering disciplines.
- Executing duties in accordance with Company procedures for training, health and safety, personnel, quality and project requirements.
- Developing design documentation as required.
- Controlled issuing of drawings for production.
- Work with marine systems including Fuel, Raw Water, Hydraulics and systems routing etc.
- Compile/collate vessel mechanical test documents for first of class build.
- Assist with Bill of Materials/part creation.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Use of a PLM system is highly desirable and history of using 3DExperience is highly advantageous.
- Yacht and Boat design experience and background is desirable
- Marine and/or Mechanical engineering qualifications to degree level
- Experience working with 3D CAD systems
- Maritime experience is a plus, but whatever your track record, high levels of technical expertise, personal drive and strong communication skills are particularly important.
- Candidates will have experience in a relevant environment with a sound working knowledge of mechanical power engineering design principles.
- Experience with preparing and submitting detailed design specifications of high value projects.
- Working with a close-knit team in design and development.
- Ability to investigate, develop, evaluate, report, advise and implement engineering solutions.
- Well-developed engineering and management skills with a strong understanding of maritime systems.
- Experience in the design phase of major maritime programmes, including the development and management of requirements.
- Demonstrable experience with marine systems.
- Test and commissioning experience.
- A proactive individual with strong commitment and self-motivation to be able to lead technical projects.
- Willingness to embrace innovation and creativity.
Values: Our people are our greatest asset, we continually strive to provide an excellent working environment to enable our team to do their best work. We have an agile professional workforce: we are founded on the belief that our people are valued and our business is trusted, inclusive and commercially-adept.
What we expect from you:
- Making things happen - A sense of determination and positivity is a must for working with us. This behaviour is evident when you act with passion to deliver on time and in the most efficient manner.
- Working Together - We rely on constructive negotiation, collaboration and compromise to reach solutions. Everyone has the responsibility to show initiative whilst listening to the feedback of others.
- Embracing Change - The only constant in a business like ours is change. We ask that you respond positively and flexibly to it, embracing the opportunities presented.
- Driving for Excellence - We require the highest standards of professionalism in everything we do and work together as a team to achieve this.
What we offer:
- Private Healthcare
- Share Options
- Life Insurance
- Unlimited Paid Holiday
- Ongoing professional development and training
- Pension contribution
- Flexible Working
- A culture of diversity and innovative thinking
To apply for this position, please send a copy of your CV along with a covering message to [email protected].
To explore more exciting careers with SubSea Craft, please see: https://subseacraft.com/careers/.